Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Sad Mama

I love blogging. I'm really excited to make a book of my blog... (someday, when I get to it!) And I love reading other blogs. I can't believe how much I've learned from everyone's experiences and insights, gotten great ideas, cried and laughed out loud. One of my favorite blogs to read is Nie. She is such a strong girl and her life is so whimsical and beautiful- because she makes it that way. I loved one of her ideas about having a back to school feast. I loved every little detail! So I decided to start the tradition with my first little kindergartner:
The night before school started- August 26th, 2009.
Our theme for the year- The Golden Rule ("My Turn On Earth" anyone?)
The guest of honor with his special crown and plate. He requested homemade chicken pot pie for dinner.
The boys were so amazed they got to use these goblets for their sparkling grape juice. There was lots of talk between the two about breaking them, and how not to.
After dinner Adam gave the boys a special father's blessing, mostly to help them feel happy, loved and confident for the coming year.

{Let's not forget the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts requested for dessert!}

It was a fun night. Elliott felt so special and once during the day when I was getting after the boys for bickering- he lectured me on how we were supposed to be honoring him today- not getting mad at him. I love the fact that our family has a theme this year too. It's something to keep coming back to with his experiences at home (which might be the main reasoning for our theme choice), school, church and with friends. We also talked a lot about how he is very blessed to be able to go to school as some don't have the opportunity.

Thanks Nie. Maybe someday we'll meet and I'll thank you in person. ;)

Now- on to the school pictures!

Mr. Elliott Swalberg- {Kindergartner}
Ollie might think he's in kindergarten too...
With his good friend.
So I realize E's hair is slicked to his head.... it got all funky in the night after his bath. I tried my best to make it right but I'm not the greatest hair mom. (Thank goodness I don't have girls to really show for it!) It really did look better after it dried.
They were so funny! Excited, chatty, running and holding hands! They walked/ran this way all the way to school.

With his teacher Miss Gurney. He really likes her.
Giving the backward wave as he walks into class. And things will never be the same with my little buddy in school for the rest of his days. He's the one I took to work with me everyday starting when he was 7 weeks old until he was two and I could stay home. He's the one who follows me everywhere I go- upstairs, downstairs, outside- wherever. He's the tender hearted boy who twirls my hair every night for a bit before he drifts off to dreamland. It will be so fun to see him learn and grow! I did pretty good holding back the tears at school this morning. But now not so much.

14 comments:

scott, natalie and kids said...

You made me tear up just thinking about Clayton going on Monday. That is a great idea. I think we will do that too. Elliot looks so big. What a handsome guy!

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

They both look so grown up! That last part got me all teary too. : )

Naoma said...

You are such a cute mom! What a fun dinner idea! It musta been hard seeing him off, they grow up so fast...

Elena said...

I read Nie also. I love what you did. What a great idea. And you'll love Miss G. Tom was her 6th grade teacher way back when he was still teaching. Good luck this year.

Lindz said...

What a cute idea to do the dinner the night before...I love that! =) I can't believe that you have a kindergartener....he looks so happy to go to school!!

Nielson said...

I read that idea too and loved it! What a special thing to do-I"m sure they loved it! You are such a great mom--and I know the floodgates will open for me next year when Bridger leaves--I'm impressed that you were able to hold it in that long :)

Melissa said...

That dinner is such a great idea! I wish I had thought to do something so awesome for my kids. Elliot looks awesome for his first day. That is crazy to send them off to kindergarten :(. I always cried, with all 3 of my kids.

Jessica said...

That's cool you used that idea. I love it too. I have four years to prepare for the back to school dinner event. Hopefully I don't wuss out. It really is a great idea.

MiStY said...

Sini this is so cool of an idea. I love how special you make your boys feel and that they are always smiling.
Your blog pics are really neat and I think Swalz birthday looked so fun and very imaginative...leave it to Swalz. Your family is darling and I can't believe how that little baby Lincoln has grown.

lindsey v said...

He looks so big in his first day of school pictures!

He is such a little momma's boy. It's so cute. He'll love his teacher too. Thank goodness that we can get them used to school with just a half day. I don't know how people can do the full day kindergarten. They are still so little!

Your dinner looks like it turned out so cute! Good job following through with it. I just think "That's a good idea!" and then never do it.

The Bentley's said...

love nie!!! that is sooo cute. i had planned to do a little theme for the year too, with a cute dinner, but i turned lazy and we let dirk pick a restaurant. that is so cute!! and i love your theme. what a perfect way to start school!! i think i will have to get myself in gear next year. Where did you find that cute crown??

Amy said...

That really is a wonderful idea and you did a great job! Kindergarten is a huge step, mostly for the moms. :) For me, first grade is even more difficult since they are gone all day. :( I'm going to have to something special for my kids before they have their first day of school. Thanks for the great idea!

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

AH!! I just got teary eyed reading this post! How cute and exciting! That looks like the funnest idea ever! Hope all is going well! I bet he is the cutest Kindergardener ever!, hands down!

Mom Swalz said...

Yea Sini! You did it! I'm so proud of you- you pulled it all off & it looked great! You guys are great parents and looks like you started the school year off perfectly! Now you just have one more to get off -Ollie looks so excited to go to preschool too! How fun! You guys have the cutest little fam of boysies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...