Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The funny thing about babies

Disclaimer: Scent & Smell= a good thing in this post.

As I nursed the baby the other night I started thinking. I love the baby smell (who doesn't?) but it seems like I can only smell him really well for a little while after his bath. That baby lotion, his freshly shampooed hair, after that- it seems to fade. You can find me (and Adam) smelling him a lot after his baths.

Anyway, there I sat in the quiet stillness of the night thinking. As I had lifted Lincoln out of his crib I could smell the scent of my mom, who had put him to bed that night while I went to dinner with adults only. (Man I needed that.) As I rubbed his little back, bum, his little legs (oh those chunky thighs!) and his wispy baby hair I realized that maybe I can't smell him, because I hold him all day and he starts to smell like me. Like his momma. I know the second Adam comes home to scoop him out of my arms, he kisses and talks to him, and by the time I get him back he already smells like his daddy. And I've seen it happen with my sisters and Adam's family too. When it's Lincoln's bath time again, even Ollie tells me- "We've got to wash off all those kisses, huh Mommy?"


Seems like the only time I can think without interruptions is in the quiet of the night feeding Linc. Maybe that's why I can't seem to let him cry it out. And maybe I'm just rationalizing. But those tender feelings are one of my favorite parts of my babies' lives, and soon they won't need me at night anymore. I'm always a little peeved when I'm ripped from my precious sleep with cries, and then picking up that little babe in his fuzzy pajamas- it's like you can't be mad. And you just love. Maybe it's because he eats and goes right back to sleep. They're a funny thing those babies.

6 comments:

ToRi and cReW said...

I loved the smell of Brogans breath when he was a little guy. Loved it. and now that he eats normal food-its normal breath.
I know what you mean about not being able to be mad once you see then sitting/standing in their crib needing you. Its the best feeling.

Melissa said...

This is such an awesome post!! The pictures are so darn cute, and your feelings about babies are perfect.

Darn you... there you go making me want another baby :) If only....:(

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

I love the smell of Parker too. He's just so perfect after a bath.

I love what Ollie said about washing off the kisses! That is too cute.

Christine said...

I love the baby smell too! I enjoyed this post. It brought back memories for me.

tammy said...

Oh sweet babies. I already get teary eyed when I think of Eva not needing me anymore at night or ever. Kids are the best thing in life.

Elisabeth said...

Oh I could so relate to this. Ethan is like my drug, I love smelling his smell and just lovin on him. And how he nuzzles into my neck. Time does go so quickly. The time between Ethan and Eva made me truly treasure these fleeting moments. You are a good momma.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...