Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Novelty

The other day my Mom came to talk to Elliott's kindergarten class about Christmas in Finland. I should have taken a picture as she showed the map of Finland in relation to where we live and the Finnish textiles and candles. She told about how Santa comes to everyone's house on Christmas Eve and knocks on the door to give everyone their presents. Back in the day, they would hang real candles on the tree, watch them for a while and then blow them out. It was so fun to watch her tell about how she cross-country skied to school in her dress and thick stockings and held up a pair of skis that I used when I was little and now Elliott uses. Elliott sat proudly in front of his class next to Grandma and held up pictures for the kids to see and passed out Finnish candies- Panda licorice and Mariannes (the only thing I could find on short notice.)

Yep- I should have taken a picture of that sweet presentation, but instead I kept Baby Lincoln busy so he wouldn't squeal, and tried to whisper to Ollie that he couldn't have a candy quite yet, when he asked over and over. But before we left for the school, Ollie made us pose for a picture. I laughed so hard when I saw it later. Baby Linc is completely intrigued with my Mom's Christmas sweater. She is the reigning queen of novelty sweaters- no matter what holiday. (And socks.) I don't know anyone else who can pull it off like her. It just fits her. And I bet a few kindergartners zoned into the Christmas shirt as well...


1 comment:

Nielson said...

That's so cute! I love hearing stories like that--my mom grew up in Montreal and she ice-skated to school in the winter. I'm already thinking of cool stories to tell my future grandchildren....I've windsurfed in an aligator infested lake...does that make the cut??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...