Monday, October 13, 2008

The Harvest

We had quite the pumpkin harvest this year with about 15 pumpkins total. It was really fun for the boys (and me) to check on them every few days to see how much bigger they had gotten- they grow so fast! I planted two packets of seeds- jumbo and regular. We only got two big ones, but they are so cute! We gave a few of the others away and still have plenty on our porch. It was so worth the $4 I paid to buy the seeds. Next year I think we will add the little mini pumpkins into our mix. The plants did take over our flowerbed, but that's okay.
Elliott ready to pick the first pumpkin. We couldn't wait until the 1st of October, but were pretty close on September 26th. ;) I was proud of the boys for waiting and not picking them way before. They did ask every time if they were ready to be picked yet.


Noah, Elliott, Benny and Ollie
We also had plenty of tomatoes this year and TONS of yummy apples! I picked all of these right before our storm hit this weekend. It was fun having golden delicious (my fave) and red (not sure of which kind they are...) come from the same tree. There is nothing like homegrown apples- so good!

5 comments:

Lindz said...

I was wondering where all those cool pumpkins on your porch came from! Wow~ I had no idea you actually grew them! And those apples look DELICIOUS!!

Naoma said...

So fun! You are such the Gardner. I agree those apples look YUMMY! Good Job!

Nielson said...

That is so fun! I promised myself to do a full on garden next year and I am super excited--I'll probably be calling your for some tips!

Kate said...

I need to plant pumpkins next year too! My kids would love that. And all those apples- how fun! Mckay picked our one piece of fruit from our fruit trees about 3 months ago- no it wasn't ripe, but Nate had to take a bite anyways.

Amy said...

What a great harvest for you and your family! My kids wanted to grow pumpkins this year, but there was no room in the garden, maybe next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...