Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Friend Mikey

Elliott, holding some cars he wanted to wrap up (?????) Mikey the doll, and Ollie, who just woke up from his nap.
This story isn't about my little brother, whom I also call Mikey. This is about a doll I got when I was little- "My Friend Mikey." I don't remember asking for this doll... My sister Linds either had one from the same makers, or got it at the same time as me. Hers was "My Friend Mandy." She was the cutest doll- all dressed up in a cheerleading outfit with long, blonde hair that you could brush and play with. And I got Mikey. Some say he still looks new, and I just think- there wasn't much hair to ruin, or makeup to apply or clothes to change and lose... so he's in great shape. 

I do remember asking for a cabbage patch kid when I was little. Everyone had one or was getting one soon. I asked for one for Christmas. Imagine my surprise when I got not one, but two (twin) cabbage patch dolls!! Again, they were boy twins, named Robert and Barry. Great names for dolls I think. I was excited, and they were dressed really cute in little overall shorts (bright orange) and matching orange bow ties. But my sister Linds, again, got (or had??) a cute girl cabbage patch doll named Roberta. She had long pig tails to play with and braid... 

I never realized this until a few years ago, that I always got the boy dolls. Who wants to play with the boy doll? All I can think is that my Mom knew my sister had the girl dolls, and who needs a bunch of girl dolls in one house, for two little girls less than two years apart? Why not mix it up a little? So that's what I always thought. But now I think my Mom was on to something. I have two boys now, and baby #3 is on the way. I will be 20 weeks next week and get to find out what it is on Monday. I won't be surprised (and I won't mind) if it is a boy. I always look at moms with lots of boys and they are always so cute. Plus my boys have always been so lovey and sweet. I LOVE having boys so much!! But I would love a girl too. Maybe that's why I want twins so much too (I know... CRAZY!) - thanks to Robert and Barry. I think Adam and I will both start crying in the ultrasound room because he wants a girl and I want twins, and it's like we both know that it's probably one little boy kicking around in there. It's all we know really. We'll keep you posted. But if it is a girl, I'm going straight to the store to buy something cute, pink and frilly. And if it's a boy, I might do the same, and give it to the nearest newborn girl I know! :)

P.S. I still have the twin dolls, but they are in a box in my garage and I didn't feel like climbing up into the shelves to dig them out for a picture. Oh yeah- this may be a hint to moms to think twice about giving their girls boy dolls. One Ken to twenty Barbies is a different story...

16 comments:

{leah} said...

Yeah for all boys!!! I hope you get another boys, they are so fun!

Pages n More said...

I hope you get twins, I want twins next as well. How fun would that be. I can't wait to find out what you are having next also.

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

So do you want twin boys or twin boy and girl? I think they'd both be fun, but I totally know what you mean about buying the pretty pink stuff.

Lindz said...

I can't wait til you find out!! My fingers are crossed for TWIN GIRLS!!! =)

Elisabeth said...

Well, you guys do make the cutest boys! Congratulations!

Nielson said...

That's kinda sad that you always got the boy dolls (plus Mikey is a little scary--when I was little I used to think my dolls would come alive at night--I know, I'm weird...)

Anway, it is good to be diverse--my dolls were at least of all different races :)--I can't wait for the news on Monday!

lindsey v said...

Why didn't we ever change our Cabbage Patch dolls names. Robert, Barry, ROBERTA?! It had a little name changing certificate with it. We could have changed them to Crystal or... okay, I can't think of any boy names that we liked when we were little. Peter?

I am SOOOOO excited for Monday!!!!

Knudson Family said...

You know three boys would be awesome....but cheers to a little girl too! Excited to see what it is....

Jessica said...

I always wanted a Ken doll. I ended up cutting one of my Barbie's hair short and using her for a Ken.

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

Ah lil boys are so cute!! But don't worry I'm prayin for a girl and I'll gladly accept another cute boys!! Love ya sins!

rachel said...

So funny ... my first cabbage patch doll was a boy too... a newborn with no hair... what fun is that, a bald doll. Thanks Mom, my older sister got the one with flowing blonde hair!!

To make a comment along with the neilson fam.. I thought my dolls came alive while I slept too, then I went to the doll museum in Provo and got totally creeped out with all the old dolls with teeth. I wouldn't let my dolls stay in my room at night after that!

Mom Swalz said...

What a funny story that is Sini! We are all waiting for Monday! We are all hoping for a girl for you, but dang, you have such cute boys! Maybe an Elliott/Ollie combo? Brown hair & blue eyes? or Blonde hair and brown eyes? Hey- as long as they are healthy- right?

Jody said...

I hve my fingers crossed for a girl. They are so much fun to dress up. And the boys need a sister to keep them in line. Can't wait to hear what your having.

Naoma said...

I bet that you are justing dying to find out!! I am excited for you either way, you are a great mom and your boys are studs. Hope you like that book!

Blayden Family said...

Congrats Sini, I so hope for a girl too, she will be a princess girl. That is so cool you are prego! BTW, I loved your boys halloween costumes, the coolest yet!

Rena said...

oHhhH! Be careful what you wish for girl! I said I wanted twins and look what I got!
Just kidding, they are so fun! But.....a lot of work too. Twin girls would be so fun so you could dress them all frilly and alike!
Congratulations on the pregnancy!!
Good Luck on Monday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...