Wednesday, March 31, 2010

yw

(Youth Talent Show- January 2010)
I got released from being Young Women President on Sunday. It's been exactly 3 years since I got the calling. I never expected to be called and wow I learned a lot! About everything, from the way our church works, to sacrifice, and of course I learned a lot about the girls! It was such a great experience- one of the hardest things I've ever done though!

So when I got the call, I had just turned 28, now I'm 31. Ollie had just turned one and now he's 4. Elliott was 3 and now he's six. We didn't have Lincoln yet, in fact we planned our pregnancy around girls' camp so I wouldn't have morning sickness while I was there. There were 16 young women when we got in and now there are 38! There were 4 babies born between our presidency in the 3 years we were in.

Here are some important lessons I learned while serving:
*The ward really does look out for everyone and has the best intentions.
*I never realized how much time people actually put into their callings.
*I'll try not to complain about a calling ever again (especially if it's a Sunday only one, or better yet- an every other week one!!!)
*Delegation. This was really hard for me. I didn't want to put anyone out, especially with how busy they were. But things always turned out better when I didn't try to do it all by myself.
*I learned that I can always work on my communication, because I've never been the greatest at it.
*I definitely had some spiritual help in who to pick for my counselors and secretary. And I am sooo glad I listened because our presidency was so great!
*I know that I am happier when I'm doing what I know is right.

It is hard to move on. I just love those girls- they are so great! I learned a lot from watching them- they have been through a lot and are very resilient.

But it will be good to let someone else have their turn in Young Womens!

I was telling the boys I wasn't in Young Womens anymore, so no more Wednesday nights, no more meetings before and after church, no more taking things to all the girls in the neighborhood (fliers, invitations, permission slips etc.) And the thing that got them the most was when I told them I would have to give my church keys to the next president. They were really bummed about it! :)

Now- what to do with my first Wednesday night off in 3 years.....

11 comments:

Ty and Mari said...

you did an amazing job at being president. I learned a lot from you and know the girls did to! here's to family time on Wednesday nights!

Naoma said...

Wow you are done!! What a feeling of sadness yet relief at the same time. Enjoy yourself and hope you get a nice easy calling for awhile. You are awesome Sini!

Elena said...

So funny because the boys were bummed when they realized Tom no longer had keys to the church. No more private basketball games. You did a great job with those cute girls. Now, enjoy your Sundays and more time with your family.

Jessica said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you that you get some time off from a busy calling!

Emily Fotheringham said...

You were great Sinika! Those girls were lucky to have you....and will remember you (and your example) as YW pres. for the rest of their life. ...but of course it is nice to let someone else have a turn.

Melissa said...

You were such the cool YW President! So stylish and fun :). I know the girls loved all of you guys. You did a great job! Have fun on Wednesdays :).

lindsey v said...

Woohoo! How was your free Wednesday?!

Lindsay said...

I can completely relate to this post. I am in YW and wow, it is so time consuming and stressful and wonderful.

Lindz said...

I agree with you Lindsay....cuz I am in YW too!! I am kinda jealous of you Sini that you have free Wednesdays and no more meetings!! Ha!! I can't believe you finally got released!! You were in there forever! I remember that I got called to the Primary Presidency the same week as you and that seems like FOREVER ago!! Ha! Enjoy your free time!! =) Be careful, you might get stuck in Nursery!! =)

Tagen and Eric said...

Freedom! I am sure you will miss YW. But once you are in YW's you will always be in YW's. Just ask my mother, she has been in YW's her whole life.

Mom Swalz said...

Being Released from YW Pres was one of the saddest days- and yet a day of realization that there was something other than YW in life! But you will be back- don't worry :) Somehow it gets stamped on our foreheads! You were amazing-I saw your dedication to the girls and to your calling and was amazed how you handled it with 3 little ones! You are the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...