Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Finns have arrived...

We have been extra busy lately visiting with my Finnish relatives who arrived in Utah late Friday night. My Mom came to the United States when she was 21 (I think??) while the rest of her family still lives in Finland. She has been back many times, but finally convinced all of them to visit her here. She has been so excited about it and took 2 1/2 weeks off of work to show them around. She redid her whole house too (Paint, new trims, new basement flooring, and cleaning like mad!) Like I said- she is super excited!
This is my cousin, Essi. She is 16 now, but the last time I saw her in person was on my trip to Finland 15 years ago, and she was a little one year old baby! Is it possible to look EXACTLY the same from babyhood? She is so tall and beautiful now and speaks amazing English!
Elliott the climber. All the trees around us are so new, so at Grandmas he goes to town! (Cousins Ryder and Trevan in tow.)
My Mom, Leena and her siblings- Ilmi and Eero (brother), Maarit and Seppo (brother) cont...
Marketta (sister) and Kalevi and Cousin Essi (Maarit and Seppo's daughter.) I would love to hear how everyone pronounces these names. Ask me in person and I'll tell you the right way! :)
I couldn't keep him out! The funny thing is he would climb up and then couldn't get down.
Thanksgiving Dinner. Yummy- I think we should do this more often than November. When we all get together, we eat outside, since it's a little squishy inside. Thank goodness for great fall weather and my parents magical backyard!
Cute little Addie in her baby legs. She was licking and blowing the flowers. And some of her favorite snacks that night included sticks and rocks.
She is so, so cute, and such a good baby!
Looking at Linds' pictures from our trip 15 years ago. 
My Mom has been showing them all around our fabulous state. On this day we went shopping at the mall. I was originally going to take my cousin, but then all the girls wanted to go. Boy did they shop! We left a couple of hours before them and they bought lots of new things! It was fun seeing all those ladies shopping together. They were so excited. Next stop is Las Vegas... I opted to stay home since I would be slowing them down with the kiddies where things take five times as long!

10 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

This is cool, I got to hear how they were all pronounced because my mom visited Finland with you a long time ago! She remembered all of the people's names.

Jessica said...

I love your mom's backyard. They do such a good job making it beautiful.

Knudson Family said...

how cool. what an awesome visit from family. I agree, your Mom's backyard is definitely magical...

Amy said...

How fun! I bet your Mom is just so happy having them all here together. Hope they are having a great time. Sounds like she's picked some great places to show them.

admin. said...

Thats great! And yes it is always fun to go shopping when on vacation, its funny how a mall just like the one near your house can seem so strange and different and cool just because its in a different place.
Have lots of fun and keep up the good picture taking. I wish I had taken more of cousins when we were at our reunion.

lindsey v said...

Such good pictures! I need to take better ones. I LOVE the ones of Addie!

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

How fun...my daughter Heather who's 11 would get along great with Elliot. She loves to climb trees, she said to me the other day, "Can we buy a used house next time with big trees, so that I can have something to climb?" Too bad for her, the next time we move, she'll probably be too old to care about climbing and be more interested in boys.

Nielson said...

that looks like so much fun! And Thanksgiving Dinner doesn't sound too bad either... :)

Tagen and Eric said...

I am so excited to see the family. See ya in a few days.

Rena said...

So fun! That has got to be so wonderful for your mom! I know how it is to have family far away and it gets lonely for them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...