Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Let It Snow

I LOVE having seasons in our little state of Utah. I really love the air when I can feel and smell that a new season is on it's way... I get so excited! So here we are in the midst of our long, cold winter so I thought I 'd  list the advantages to all of our beautiful snow:
*SNOWBOARDING- LOVE it! Me and my friend, Jessica decided in high school that we were going to learn how to snowboard- even though I had skied since I was little. It is so much fun- and I never skied downhill again.  Now it seems like I'm either pregnant or have a newborn that can't be left for a whole day, so I go entire winters without snowboarding- this winter being one of them. :(  Hopefully we'll teach our boys and I'll go with them someday too.
*CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING- This will always be in my blood since I have a little Finnish Mom...
*SNOWSHOEING- Hiking in the winter? It's as beautiful as hiking in the summer and you actually stay really warm. 
*SLEDDING- Our backyard has a perfect little slope and you can do a short run or a long run. Elliott is into it this year and maybe next year Ollie will get the hang of it.
*SNOWMEN-  So fun to create your own little snow person and see him watching for you when you've been out running errands. And then see how long it takes for him to melt...
*SHOVELING SNOW- Sometimes it's a drag, but most of the time I think it's a great workout.
*BUILDING TUNNELS AND FORTS- I can see the possibilities in this, although I haven't done it too much. I can see many years of building to come in our family, so I'd better hop on board.
*ICICLES- So pretty. My boys point out every icicle in every shape we see around town. They like to hold them if they can reach to take them off (like a car or mailbox.) And Ollie likes to watch them shatter on the ground as he throws them.
*TASTING FRESH POWDER- I don't really do this anymore, but I distinctly remember doing it when I was little. I always see my boys doing it now, so I had to educate them on "snow eating manners."
*HOT CHOCOLATE- I don't ever drink hot chocolate in the warmer months, but we find every excuse to have it during the snowy days, especially if we have been outside playing. And usually all those neighbor gifts keep us stocked through the whole winter! ;)
*CUTE MITTENS, HATS and SCARVES- I love having the excuse to bundle up in these!
*CHRISTMAS LIGHTS- I love when Christmas lights are accessorized with the snow- they both complement each other so well. 
*NO YARD WORK- I love working in my yard, but I think I would go crazy if I had to do it the entire year. It's good to have a break and just look at the beautiful snow... and not worry about weeds and watering.
*MAKING FOOTPRINTS IN FRESH SNOW- Need I say more? 

So there's my list. I think we have so much to do in our winters here in Utah. I am the first to admit that it should all be gone by March (in time for Spring of course!)  but I need to take advantage of all of the fun things winter brings too. Here are some fun pictures of my boys playing to their hearts' content. Let it Snow!
Snow Tunnels




Rolling a Snowman
Ollie's version of a snowball---the bigger the chunk he finds the better---and he likes to throw them at me and laugh his head off.

Snowman with the neighbor kids. We always call him Frosty.  And of course Ollie is again done. I do see a pattern in a lot of the pics I take of him... reminds me of a little boy named Eric sometimes. ;)
I forgot to post these pictures from Christmas night at my Mom's house. When I told Elliott we were going over, he asked if he could ski again this year. And he was the one who insisted after dinner that Grandma help him get his special boots and skis on. I didn't bring his snow clothes and it was "slushing" (snow and rain mixed??) but he went out anyway and made tracks all over her huge backyard.  Then he continued to ask Grandma if he could borrow this set for the winter so he could ski at our house too. Funny boy. 
His pants and coat are soaked and he didn't even care!
Our funny cat Suki will sometimes beg to go out and will jump on our railing so she won't have to put her pretty little paws in the snow. She only lasts out there for a minute, but I love when she catches snowflakes with her black fur.

12 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

I love the snow tunnels, I always wanted to do that!

Jessica said...

Our "learning to snowboard" day is one of my favorite memories with you. Such a fun day...and painful. I remember we were like "K, now we have to always go together because we're the same good-ness at it and we won't leave each other behind."

Lindz said...

What cute pics of your kids playing in the snow!!! =) I love all the positive things you found to say about the snow...seeing your pics makes me miss it for a minute!! =) It would be fun to let Ayden get all bundled up and go outside to play! Hopefully we can come visit UT soon...I hope we come after your baby is born so we can meet him!! =)

Naoma said...

I love seasons too. I couldn't live somewhere warm all the time! I love the snow and hot chocloate etc... Cute pictures, love the snow tunnel especially.

Nielson said...

Looks like fun! I love the snow--as long as it melts by March! :)

Emily Fotheringham said...

I loved this post! So positive about the snow, when many are ready to throw in the shovel.

Tamara with a "T" said...

AAAhhhhhh snowboarding! I went last year with Danielle and we even took lessons...it was hard and I was so sore the next day...because I kept on falling. It was fun but I'd way rather ski (because I'm so much better) HA! Remember when we took ski lessons? I couldn't stop!!!

Elisabeth said...

I'm loving the snow too! Well mostly the kids are loving to play in it. Next winter we must go snowboarding!I miss being up there.

Unknown said...

Curt is SO jealous right now! He was just telling me this morning how much he was missing all that Utah snow...good timing for this post! I don't miss getting around in the snow, but I do miss all the fun things you listed!

{leah} said...

Great snow tunnles!! I kinda {only slightly} miss the snow, but your post made me miss it more.

Melissa said...

Sinika, you are so creative. Way to look at the positive aspects of snow. You are awesome! I love to read your blog. You will have to help me sometime. I really need to get started.

Mom Swalz said...

Oh I miss our Utah snow! Thanks for all the great pics! I remember when Steve & Adam built tunnels in the snow years ago..... oh the memories! Kenzie was laughing at the pics & amazed at all the snow, but was worried and was wondering if Adam was burying Elliott in the snow in the pics of Adam with the shovel! Fun to see Adam playing with them. It's so fun to see the boys having so much fun- I miss them so much- give them hugs and kisses for me! Love you guys tons! See you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...