Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fender Benders


Adam and I have both gotten in little accidents over the last 2 weeks, which I thought was kind of weird. The picture above was a few minutes before mine occurred...
 
I  went with the Young Women to the temple for baptisms. We came out, took pictures and piled back into the cars we came in. I had 4 girls in mine. I was backing up and thought I hit a pole or something, but looked back and it was a car. I jumped out of the car to see the shiny, red LEXUS that I had just hit!!! I almost died! It was an older woman, who seemed pretty nice. I started taking all the blame, although I had gone out of my parking spot and turned and she was still just backing up out of her spot, (I know, it was totally my fault too, but I like to think a little less...) So I'm blabbing and then of course start crying and she's just as calm as ever. I kept saying, "Should we call the police? Do you want my insurance info? Do you want my phone number?" She just kept saying things like, "Well- it looks like we both weren't watching where we were going, so I don't know how we can do the insurance thing, or the police." I just kept thinking about her nice Lexus- but the damage was minimal- it looked like a golf ball had put a tiny dent in the bumper. My car had the paint rubbed off  the bumper in a couple of spots, smaller than the size of dimes, so I wasn't too worried. I don't know if it was that she was the older one, or the one with the more expensive car, but I think I was waiting for her decision. She finally said, "I don't want you to think about this for another minute." And we drove away. Me balling my eyes out to my car full of girls. 

This was kind of like dejavu (sp?) from another accident I was in. When I was in high school, I was driving 5 other girls (due to the bench seat in the front of my car) to an indoor track meet from South Jordan up to Logan. It was snowing and I had started to drift a little past the white line, so I turned the wheel a little and started to slide, and spin and we finally hit a post (facing the wrong way on the freeway...) on the side of the road that flipped us around and put us in the ditch. But all the girls were screaming in that one (including me) and we were going freeway speed so it was a lot scarier. We had to get towed out and stand in the snow for a while. None of us ran in the track meet, we just headed for home. I had to pay Coach Arbogast back the $70 he paid the tow truck driver too. And my parents knew I was going to a track meet, I just hadn't told them it was in Logan, so they weren't too happy. My little brother fixed my car door in his auto body class in school the next year.  
 
Anyway- on to Adam's mishap. He was driving our brother-in-law, Brian's car when his accident happened. Since he carpools to work with Brian, they take turns driving. So if they need to run errands, they just take the car that is there. So Brian had just gotten his car back from getting fixed from another accident the day before (that one wasn't his fault, and he was hit by the back of a horse trailer or something...) Adam was stopped at a light and was the third car back. The turning lane next to him started to go, and so did the girl behind him. She ran right into him and left a few marks from her license plate on his back bumper. Poor Brian and his car...
 
I'm glad there were no serious injuries and the damage was minimal in both cases. It's just funny that it happened in the same couple of weeks.
 
P.S. Isn't the picture above crooked and a little far away? It's funny when people take pictures so different than I would. I think I'm more of a put the feet at the bottom of the picture and get the view at the top. But some people put the people in the center of the pic, whether or not it's beautiful underneath, or if it cuts off the landmark that you're taking the picture for anyway... It may be a pet peeve of mine.

5 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

You sound like you're a better photographer than most! I never even thought about that, but I think you're right. It would be better to see the beautiful blue sky rather than the cement! :)

Nielson said...

That is so sad--I hate the fact that I totally would have cried in front of everyone too-- at least you have minimal damage--the last fender bender I was in (a couple of years ago, kind of my fault, kind of not...) our whole front got scratched up--now we have nicknamed our car "scarface". :)

rachel said...

accidents suck! totally agree about the picture... I also like how you are right in the middle of the short people!

Jessica said...

I cry every time I get in an accident or get pulled over. I also cry at the DMV when the crappy workers there make me wait for hours and then are rude to me when it's finally my turn.

I remember in high school when you hit the deer and how you cried the whole way home. So sad that you were all alone for that one!

Tamara with a "T" said...

Sini
I'm just glad that everybody is okay! I love you and don't want any body to get hurt or cry anymore. So stop crying k?! Gosh. That is so crazy two accidents in a few weeks! Someone hit my car and didn't care to leave me a note or anything. I hate dented cars!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...