Wednesday, July 23, 2008

See how our garden grows...

We have a little tiny area of our flowerbed that I use for our garden every year. I've had people ask if we use it like a sandbox, and let our kids play in it, because it seems too small for anything else. But it works out perfectly for our little family. 


This is Elliott helping me get all the weeds out earlier this spring. Then he helped me plant the seeds. We had corn seeds, and I told him there wasn't enough room this year, but he insisted, so I let him plant a row. 

We finally had our first harvest from our garden (besides the strawberry patch that borders it to the left.) We watched these tomatoes for weeks. We would check them every day, so I finally let Ollie pick them. They were delicious!! I could eat tomatoes all day, especially home grown ones! Other things we planted were: green beans, beets, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins (along with the corn and tomatoes.) I'm so excited for everything to be ready, so we can eat them!! We also have a cherry tree with 4 different kinds of cherries, an apple tree with 3 different types of apples (it's really fun to see yellow and red apples on the same tree!) and a plum tree that also grows apricots. My mom was the one who knew about all these special hybrid trees and thought they would work perfectly in my little space. 

Last year I only planted two pumpkin seeds, and one pumpkin got as big as an apple before it froze. So this year I planted a lot of seeds, two different kinds. I just spread them throughout my flowerbeds and they are taking over! But that's okay- I hope we get lots of them. You can see a tiny one to the left of Ollie's legs, sitting on the curbing. It's so fun to have a garden, especially with kids. My parents always had a huge one that we had to work in all the time- so it didn't seem that fun to me (although I loved the veggies and fruits we got from it and it was fun to play in...) But I can do this little size.

7 comments:

Emily Fotheringham said...

I'm so jealous!!!! I've never heard of such trees before. You're teaching your boys good lessons.

lindsey v said...

I was just talking about the garden we had growing up this morning. It wasn't so fun when it took a whole Saturday to weed that gigantic garden. These smaller ones are so much funner! But we sure do have weeding down now, huh! We're experts!

Ty and Mari said...

I have a small garden too! I just picked our peas yesterday! They are amazingly delicious! I love the anticipation of a garden!

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

I love your garden! I want one! We used to have one when I was little too and now my dad refuses to do it again, which only makes me want one more! I love that you can grow fruit where you are, I used to bury cherry seeds to try and grow them! It never worked.

The Kohler Family said...

I so want a garden! We just have a little row of peas mixed in with our bushes. Your little garden looks awesome!

Rena said...

What the holy scrud?!?! a plum tree that sprouts apricots? That is awesome!! I cannot wait to have a yummy tomato from someones garden. The ones we get here taste like plastic. We call them fake tomatoes. I cant wait to grow my own garden. It is so gratifying. By the way...your Mom is awesome!

Tamara with a "T" said...

I love your garden. I kind of just eat my moms veggies still. I know. Laziness. I remember your moms garden too...she was amazing and I remember your chickens too :) If you have too many tomatoes, think of me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...