Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hootenanny Pancakes


I know you are all thinking, "What is that? Some kid's art project?" Nope- it's just one of my favorite breakfast foods my Mom made when I was a kid. I am such a cold cereal girl that I usually only make them on special days for my family, like Christmas, birthdays. and this pic is from Easter. My boys and I love them with yogurt or jam on top (thanks Mom) and Adam likes them with syrup or jam. While Adam was on his mission, I stayed with his little sisters while his parents went out of town. I thought I would make them my special Hootenannies, which was the first time I tried to make them away from home with no recipe. So I put in 1 egg and 6 CUPS of flour- instead of 6 eggs and 1 cup of flour!!! They turned out like bricks, but still tasted suprisingly yummy! We could only eat a little bit before we were way too full- they were just so heavy! I don't think I'll ever live that one down, but I have definitely made a lot more food mistakes since then. They are so yummy and easy and different- so I thought I'd share the recipe with you all:

Hootenanny Pancakes
1/2 c butter
1 c. milk
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flour

Melt butter in a 9X13 inch pan in 425 degree oven. While it melts, mix milk, eggs and salt in blender. Gradually add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat very well. Pour mixture in pan of melted butter and bake for 25 minutes. Cut and serve with favorite pancake topping. Serves 6.

P.S. I usually use a little less butter and if your butter is salted, then you just need a pinch of salt instead.

9 comments:

Kent and Julie said...

They look yummy - when it comes to food i will try anything:) Thanks for sharing that it is a great idea!

Naoma said...

This is one of our favorites at our house as well, we call it german pancakes though. Love that you put 6 CUPS of flour and 1 egg, very funny!

Breezy said...

Funny, I have never heard them called that. This is a favorite of mine to but I know them as German Pancakes. Your name is funner! :)

Telisse and Kade said...

Yummy! Im with ya on the cold cereal breakfast. When Kade gets a hot breakfast he is confused...... So it really is a special treat for him. I love those and I call them german pancakes. I like your moms name though!

Emily Fotheringham said...

I call these German Pancakes too! The first time I made these on my own, I misunderstood the recipe and put 1/4 cup of salt instead of 1/4 teaspoon. Needless to say they tasted a little salty!

lindsey v said...

That is such a good picture, it makes them look as yummy as they are! I love your paper background template! So cute!

Amy said...

Hootanannys....LOVE IT! I'm going to make them. They look so good. Megs wanted me to write that she blames you for her bowel problems. She is claiming that it all stemmed from that day you made them for her. HA HA.

Lindz said...

Ooooh....those look yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe..you always have yummy ones! And so funny that you put 6 cups of flour instead of 6 eggs!! ha!!

Breezy said...

You are so awesome! Ya the Zermatt is amazing! we have never stayed there but we have eaten lunch or dinner there. We have gone up a couple times and stayed at Johnsons Mill which is nice. We will look into this! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...