Thursday, July 28, 2011

finland wrap-up

 After the museum, we walked around and took the tram to the Sibelius monument. 

 This was to commemorate Finland's greatest composer, Jean Sibelius. He wrote their national anthem, "Finlandia" which is also the tune that "Be Still My Soul" is sung too. Look at the bottom of the hymnbook next time you sing it in church. Pretty cool. He lived from 1865-1957.

Apparently, the modern artist who sculpted this in 1967 was sort of forced into putting a model of his face on since otherwise it seemed so abstract. I think it's a nice touch. 
















 This was one tired little Linc who took yet another nap in our arms on this day.


 So cute- I couldn't stop taking pics while he stared. 

One of the interesting buildings we saw on the tram- it looks like it's tipping over...
 After we checked into our hotel and rested a bit, we met up with Jaakko and Satu after they got off of work since they live in Helsinki. We made our way back to the port, via trams, picked up our stuff and then ate pizza at the mall. The pizza place gave chewing gum with each pizza, for afterwards. Jaakko also bought a bag of spicy chips... called something like, "America's Favorite Chip!" and offered some to us, saying, "Don't you guys love these?!" No, we do not. A ploy I tell you.

Anyway, in the mall was also a few grocery stores and we stocked up on some last minute candy and lots of bread and fruit for the morning. It was so great seeing Jaakko and Satu one more time. It was fun to see how confident and well-spoken Jaakko is. Plus he's really smart- and that makes me a proud cousin. 

(These two pics were so bad! Is my point and shoot really that bad?!)
 coat family
 We gave the boys the big bed and Adam and I took the two fold outs. It was a nice hotel room (sort of)- all reservations done online, all keys done by entering codes that only worked for a limited time, and no front desk. 
 Bedhead- he wouldn't let me take a pic!
 Linc, Elliott & Ollie at Helsinki-Vantaa airport.

 Linc slept for four hours on the nine hour first leg. He was so good. He kept busy with his bucket of toys. 

 In Chicago, Elliott couldn't wait any longer and fell asleep for an hour. It was so hard waking him up when it was time to go. I hate my kids missing sleep!
 Mister Oliver is on one of our laps constantly- a little snuggler.
 Some of the candy loot- the dumles (doom-lays) are my fav... along with the Fazer pastilles, and the mariannes.... the kissmets- minty goodness. I love it all. 
 Adam brought 6 bags of the rye bread home- and I brought one rice bread home. It was supposed to be refrigerated... but who cares. I ate it over the next week anyway, and didn't share it with anyone!
 Unpacking... blah!
 Our 2 week mail stack.
 It was nice getting back at 10 at night so we could go right to sleep. The boys seemed fine the next day, the big boys wouldn't take a nap. It took Adam and I a good week to get over the jet lag! I was so tired and dizzy! I think I'm just getting old. Anyway- while Linc, Adam and I were taking a nap the next day, the boys put these two flags in the clubhouse- I love that their eyes are forever opened to another part of the world. 

We had such an amazing experience! I love my family there and only feel more connected to them. I love that I can communicate with them on facebook, email and this blog. It was a chance of a lifetime, and I'm glad we took it!

The End

Or is it just the beginning?

Pure cheese, I know... but the boys want to go on missions there now. They know Finnish words and count to ten in Finnish and tell me all the time they wish they could go back. I love it. They are forever connected to Finland now too, just like I've always been. 

5 comments:

rachel said...

wow want an amazing trip, and a great experience for the boys. Wish I could have gone with you! I have loved all the pictures. I can't believe how fast the boys are growing!

Melissa said...

It has been so fun seeing all your posts about Finland! It looks like an amazing place. Thanks for sharing :).

Tammy said...

I love the first picture and my favorite hymn is Be Still My Soul! It is awesome that you and your kids went there.

Burrell said...

What an amazing experience. The chance of a lifetime. And to be able to teach your children about their heritage is a beautiful thing! Great pictures, great stories, great adventure!

Senja said...

oh yes, finnish candy is awesome. but their bread is the best. i also always buy that :) hey, let me know if you want some more candy - we also have dumle and fazer chocolate here. i could send you some!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...