Saturday, August 21, 2010

viva las vegas

When we heard my cousin's plans of what he was going to do for his first time visiting the U.S. from Finland- Adam and I were both amazed that Vegas wasn't on the list. Turns out- he thought Vegas sounded fun, but it was my Mom (and maybe my Uncle?) who wasn't into going. So we did a little persuading and took the uncle and cousin (and mom) there for a couple of days. I realize some people HATE it there. But we've found some fun things to do and I got some great ideas from friends too. I officially like it. And I'll be going back.

We stayed with Adam's sister- Amy and her family. They came to dinner with us at the Grand Luxe (yummy!) and then took our boys home while we went to the show. It was so fun to see them and their new amazing house- even though I forgot to get any pics. The boys had fun playing with cousin Kenzie for the night.
{Me and my honey after the Le Reve show.}
Me and my Momma. I loved watching these flowers bloom at the end- so pretty.
This was before the show started. Cameras weren't allowed during it- but it was so unique and amazing! It was called Le Reve and was mostly performed in the water. So different and cool. Some people are very talented and daring. Just glad they perform so people who aren't so talented in that department {me} can enjoy it!
Sini, Leena, Jaakko and Seppo (How's that for a list of Finnish names?)
Those balls were made with real flowers and smelled heavenly. I kept taking deep breaths in- I'm sure I looked like a big dork, but I don't know anyone there- so it's cool.
The boys on Las Vegas Blvd. We walked around for a bit before the show and were actually sweating! Crazy hot weather.
The next morning we packed up our things and walked the strip all day. The boys did very well until the end- but who can blame them- they were so tired. We started off at the Bellagio. I could just go there and be happy. I love to visit every time I'm in Vegas. The gardens are amazing and always different. This was their summer bug theme.

Grandma and Elliott
Ollie catching some fountain water.

Wouldn't it be fun to design all these things?
I love the glass sculpture in Bellagio's lobby. Pictures never do it justice.

Watching the Bellagio fountains. The song was the Pink Panther theme, and my boys love watching those old school cartoons- so that was fun.
Well-behaved (and healthy) boysies.
It was 105 degrees that day in Vegas- so you can see everyone's red cheeks. We drank lots of water and took refuge in lots of stores and hotels to cool off.
The boys had fun seeing all the different M&M's and we bought a few for dessert. Who knew they have pretzel M&M's?

Elliott and the MGM lion.
My friends suggested the Rainforest Cafe and it didn't disappoint! Isn't Ollie a crack up? He's been working on his face-making skills for a while now. And little Linc hopped right up, sat like that and stared at the fish tank across from him.
....can't....stop taking pictures of the baby....just...too...CUTE! He's had a few M&M's himself.

Ollie the magician reaching into the tank.
The animals in the cafe put on a performance every once in a while. It was really cool for the boys. We took a walk around while we were waiting for our food. Who cares that the kids meal cost $10- it was still worth it.
What's a rainforest without rain? (It's nothing more than a forest.)
Linc is watching the gorillas thump their chests. We have a book about gorillas thumping their chests, so it was fun to see it in real life (well- you know what I mean.)
We got to walk under the sleeping lions! That was so cool. Too bad they weren't awake. And too bad the two trainers were also sitting on the glass so we got some (ahem!) not so pleasant views of them...

The boys (and most of the adults) had fun making waves and swirls in this cool picture at Mandalay Bay. We ran out of time to see the real shark exhibit though.
Thank goodness for these!

My mom decided to get herself a treat- a dark chocolate Lindt bar. Of course it melted the instant she walked out of the store. So she kept taking little bites and every time I looked at her, she had it all over! Then she made me take a bite and I got it all over my face and hands- gees! It was so funny- I just had to take a picture the FIFTH time it happened!!!
Elliott and Ollie loved having Grandma's attention for the 14 hour round trip. Seppo and I got to sit on either side of Linc in the middle seat, while Jaakko and Adam took turns driving.
(Love how the color of blue changes on the way up in this shot of the desert sunset!)

It was a fun trip- but way too short!

Other things we did while we were there- met up with our friends, Rich and Abby who were driving home from California (what are the chances?), Jaakko and I went on the New York, New York roller coaster and of course we shopped at H&M.

Things we need to do when we go back- go to the Dam, see the shark exhibit, go to the Liberace museum, go to Nellis Air Force Base, visit cousins, friends and more time with Amy and Cody (who were gracious hosts- thanks guys!) the list goes on....

2 comments:

Naoma said...

I am with you on the loving Vegas bit! Yes there is lots of fun things to do there even with kiddos in tow! Looks like you guys had a great time.

Knudson Family said...

Ahh...las vegas is fun! (thanks for reminding me.) I haven't been so crazy about it lately because it's too hot every single day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...